2016 has proven that Khuli Chana is running in his own lane in the music industry having released 3 game changing projects this year ahead of the release of his highly anticipated 3rd solo studio album, One Source.
- Released Picking Up The Pieces Documentary screened at Ster Kinekor cinemas
- Released limited edition Khuli Chana personalised Absolut Vodka bottles
- Created One Source album with Absolut collaborating with some of Africa’s biggest artists, the first single off the album with same name, One Source, has been released to rave reviews
2015 saw Khuli Chana celebrate 10 years in the game. Having reached a juncture in his career where his talents as a musician have been proven, Khuli Chana continued to work hard to maintain that level of excellence whilst molding and honing his other brand properties and business entities, taking on the title of a young mogul in the making.
- Ambassador for the Africa is Absolut campaign
- The Hustle’s judge (Vuzu TV’s Vuzu Amp’s reality Hip Hop show)
- Making it to #1 in the UK on BBC 1Xtra with his single No Lie featuring Patoranking
2014 saw Khuli Chana open up for international acts such as Big Sean and Kendrik Lemar. He won 2 Metro FM Music Awards, won Best Male Southern Africa at the AFRIMMA International Awards, received 4 SAMA nominations as well as a nomination for Best International Act with Black Canadian Awards.
- Best Male Southern Africa at the AFRIMMA 2014
- Best Music Video (Sleepwalker) at the SAMA 2014
- Best Hit Single (Mnatebawen) at the Metro FM Music Awards 2014
- Best Music Video (Mnatebawen) at the Metro FM Music Awards 2014
- MTVBase Africa Music Award for Best Hip Hop
- Black Canadian Award for Best International Act
- SAMA for Record of The Year (Mnatebawen) *Only Hip Hop song this year to be nominated for Record of The Year and made it to Top 5)
- SAMA for Remix of The Year (Hape Le Hape 2.1)
- SAMA for Best Collaboration (Sleepwalker with The Parlotones)
Khuli Chana was the biggest winner at the 19th annual MTN SAMAs in 2013. He was also the first musician to have a Hip Hop album win in the coveted SAMA Album of The Year category which ultimately dubbed him as the face of the changing Hip Hop landscape in South Africa.
The end of 2013 saw Khuli Chana release a Rocka #ChanaPower headphone set, with a new edition Rocka Chana Power earbeatz being added to his range in 2014. The merchandise are doing very well against other competing products in the electronics section and are available at Game, Waltons, Toys R Us, Makro, and select Van Schaiks stores nationwide.
The name Khuli Chana is synonymous with the word Motswako. Motswako encompasses elements from various musical backgrounds. It involves street-talk and highly influential messages in Setswana, English and other South African languages which Khuli Chana has dubbed “Tswenglish”.
Khuli Chana brings a different flavour and sound, not only to this genre of music but also to the Hip-Hop scene. Khuli Chana is not new to the music industry; in the early 90′s he formed a duo with Kay-G called “Jazzzadaz”. They then joined forces with Towdee Mac to form the group, Morafe.
Khuli Chana’s debut solo album, The MotswakOriginator, was released in November 2009. It included hit singles such as “Tswakstikem”, “Sthandwa Sam”, “Freshe” and “No More Hunger” which all dominated the airwaves and saw Khuli Chana win numerous awards and nominations over the next 2 years. A remix of the song “No More Hunger” was requested by Action Aid South Africa to be featured on their Hunger Free Campaign music compilation which featured artists from around the continent.
December 2011 came Khuli Chana’s release of the MotswakOriginator Deluxe. It consisted of his album, The MotswakOriginator, along with two additional songs featuring HHP and Tuks, and a documentary that unfolds the history of the Motswako Hip Hop industry as well as Khuli Chana’s trials and tribulations in the industry.
Khuli Chana released his second album entitled Lost in Time on 16 November 2012. The Lost in Time album, in true Khuli Chana signature style, consists mostly of tracks in “Tswenglish” as well as collaborations with some of the industry’s rap giants such as Reason, AKA, and Zeus. Lost in Time has gone on to make history as the very first Hip Hop album to win in the category Album of The Year at the MTN SAMAs. Alongside the coveted Album of The Year, Khuli Chana also took home Best Rap Album and Best Male Artist at the 19th annual award ceremony.
2009 – The MotswakOrginator
2011 – MotswakOriginator Deluxe
2012 – Lost in Time
2013 – Lost in Time Hape Le Hape Remix Edition
- Best Newcomer at the Channel O Music Video Awards in 2009
- Best Song of The Year at the Hype Music Awards in 2009 (Tswakstikem off MotswakOriginator)
- Best Vernacular Hip Hop Album at the SATMA in 2009 (MotswakOriginator)
- Best Collaboration at the SA Hip Hop Awards in 2012 (Tswa Daar off Lost in Time)
- Best Collaboration at the Metro FM Music Awards in 2013 (Tswa Daar off Lost in Time)
- Album of the Year at the MTN SAMA in 2013 (Lost in Time)
- Best Rap Album at the MTN SAMA in 2013 (Lost in Time)
- Best Male Artist at the MTN SAMA in 2013 (Lost in Time)
- Best Male Artist at the SA Hip Hop Awards 2013 (Lost in Time)
- Album of the Year at the SA Hip Hop Awards 2013 (Lost in Time)
- Best Hit Single (Mnatebawen) and Best Music Video (Mnatebawen) at the 2014 Metro FM Music Awards
- Best Music Video (Sleepwalker) at the SAMA 2014Best Male Southern Africa at the AFRIMMA 2014
- Song included in the Action Aid South Africa Hunger Free Campaign in 2009 (No More Hunger off MotswakOriginator)
- Opened the stage for Drake SA Tour in 2009
- Maftown Heights Co-Founder in 2010
- Nominated for the Channel O Music Video Awards for “No More Hunger” in the categories Most Gifted Video of The Year and Most Gifted African Southern Video in 2011
- Most nominated local artist at the Channel O Music Video Awards for his track “Tswa Daar”in the categories Most Gifted Video of the Year, Most Gifted Hip Hop Video, and Most Gifted Male Video in 2012
- Performing at the Cape Town International Jazz Festival in 2013
- Opened the stage for 2 Chainz in 2013
- Appeared solo on the covers of Hype Magazine, iMagazine and Club X Magazine in 2013
- Named the 8th Best Dressed Man in SA by GQ in 2013
- Nominated for the SA Hip Hop Awards 2013 in the categories: “Album of The Year”, “Most Valuable”, “Best Video – Mnatebawen”, “Best Male”, “Best Collaboration – Hape Le Hape”, “Lyricist of The Year”, and “Song of The Year – Mnatebawen”
- Most played Hip Hop song in the country for Mnatebawen in 2013
- Opening act for Big Sean and Kendrik Lemar in 2014
- Nominated for Best International Act at the Black Canadian Awards 2014
- Nominated for Remix Song of The Year and Record of The Year at SAMA 2014 (only Hip Hop song this year to be nominated for Record of The Year and made it to the Top 5)
- Nominated for an MTVBase Africa Music Award for Best Hip Hop 2014
- Absolut SA endorsement in 2015
- The Hustle’s judge (Vuzu TV’s Vuzu Amp’s new reality Hip Hop show) in 2015
- Single, No Lie ft Patornaking making it to #1 in the UK on BBC 1Xtra in 2015